PRESERVING METHOD: Water Bath
· 10 cups chopped cored peeled tomatoes (about 25 medium)
· 5 cups chopped seeded green bell peppers (about 4 large)
· 5 cups chopped onions (about 6 to 8 medium)
· 2-1/2 cups chopped seeded chili peppers, such as hot banana, Hungarian wax, serrano or jalapeño (about 13 medium)
· 1-1/4 cups cider vinegar
· 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
· 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
· 1 Tbsp salt
· 1 tsp hot pepper sauce, optional
· 6 Ball® (16 oz) pint or 12 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
1. PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
2. COMBINE tomatoes, green peppers, onions, chili peppers, vinegar, garlic, cilantro, salt and hot pepper sauce, if using, in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
3. LADLE hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot salsa. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
4. PROCESS both pint and half pint jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed