This makes App 42 Wide mouth Pints
(I split the onions, pickles, and Garlic into three batches when all chopped in mix) So starting with the sugar below divide that by three for each batch you then mix up)
- 116 cups Pickling Cucumbers (No wax)
- ½ Bag of Walla Walla sweet onions more if you like onions.
- 2 1/3 cup Pickling Salt
- 3 bulbs of Garlic – cut and slice in half each clove
- 18 cups Cider Vinegar
- 24 cups Sugar
- 12 Tbsp. Mustard Seed
- 9 Tsp Celery Seed
- 9 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 3 bags of crushed ice
- ·In a stainless steel, enamel, or non-stick pan combine cucumbers, onions, garlic (thoroughly mixed these together) Then sprinkle on your pickling salt and layer 2 inches of crushed ice on top. Cover and let set up to 12 hours.
- After 3 – 12 hours remove any ice that is on top and drain the mixture in colanders and remove the garlic at this time.
- In the same pot you removed the veggie mix to drain use this pot to heat and mix the rest.
- In the pot put in the vinegar, sugar, and your seasonings and bring this mixture to a boil stirring constantly.
- Now add your veggie mix and bring to a boil again.
- Now ladle into hot sterilized jars leaving ½ inch head space.
- Wipe the top and rims of the jars with White distilled vinegar.
- Place your warmed lid on the jar, screw on the bands with finger touch tightening.
- In a water canner bring you water to boiling. Place your jars (usually 7 can fit at a time) bring your water to a rolling boil. At this time (Rolling boil) start timing with the lid on your pot for 10 minutes
- Remove from the water canner and place on towels on a table and let cool and wait for the “Ping”. Once labeled store for a year. (If they last that long)
· YUMMY! ENJOY! They make Great Gifts too!